Last year was one of the best Halloweens ever. My work bestie and I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up snacks and drinks, and our friends joined us back at my house for a fun (and extremely cold, snowy even) evening of handing out candy, snacking, and watching spooky Netflix shows. Kyle had to work late, but when he came home he crawled to the front door and rang the bell to scare us. It was just a cozy night in with my favorite people, and to say I’m bummed that this year can’t be the same is a bit of an understatement.
Even though this Halloween looks different, I’m still determined to make the best out of my favorite Holiday. Also, I’m calling this my golden Halloween because I’m 31 and October 31st is my favorite day of the year, haha. I even took Wednesday-Friday off from work to celebrate, because hey, it’s not like I’ll be jetting off on vacation anytime soon.
So what’s on the agenda for a fun quarantine Halloween?
- Still dressing up, haha. Costumes are my favorite part of Halloween, and I just like planning them too much to forego the whole process. Yes, this year’s costume is a lot less involved than previous years, but hey, it’s something! Here’s a throwback to one from last year!
- Carving pumpkins! In my mind, the ideal pumpkin carving setup is cloudy, 65 degrees, and on my front porch. But here in Ohio, the week of Halloween tends to coincide with Mother Nature giving up on mild weather altogether. Currently, it’s about 45 degrees and has been steadily raining for an entire day. We typically throw something seasonal on the tv, lay a tarp on the floor in the living room, and carve away. Kyle always goes for something super ambitious, and I stick with a traditional jack-o-latern. Something that really sped up the not-so-fun part of the process last year? This attachment for a drill that makes cleaning out the inside of the pumpkin a piece of cake!
- Some spooky mixology, for those of us over the age of 21. Our go to cold weather drink is a Dark and Stormy, but this year we looked to the google machine for some Halloween drink ideas and found a few fun ones! There are a ton of recipes out there for Pumpkin Fizzes and this one is my favorite, but instead of 1.5 ounces of ginger beer, I would use 1 ounce of ginger beer and 1 ounce of cream soda!
- Obviously, watch all of the Halloween things. I somehow haven’t managed to watch It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown yet this year (I did paint it, though!), but that’s on the docket with a few other Halloween classics. Also, we’re having a bit of a Harry Potter marathon too!
- Play some spooky tunes! I mean, what is Halloween without “Monster Mash”?
What do you have planned this Halloween?