For the holidays, you can’t beat home sweet home. Yay! We’re finally home! The Florida weather was great, and it truly was fun seeing lights on all the palm trees, but I was just as happy to get home to the slush and snow. HEY! Are you caught up on Vlogmas?
My dad just got into town, and we’ve ordered a pizza, the boys are out on a booze run, and I’m about to make some sweet treats, twofold! I shared my recipe for Oreo Truffles a few days ago, and now I’m going to share mine for rice crispy treats. I get it, this recipe is nothing profound, but I do have at least one trick up my sleep fresh off a week long visit with my mother in law!
What you’ll need:
- One box of Rice Krispies Cereal **Santa edit: I saw at our local Kroger this morning a holiday box that also had red and green krispies!
- One 16 oz. package of mini marshmallows
- One stick of butter
- One can of PAM, butter flavor
- Holiday sprinkles, mini chocolate chips… or whatever you want to decorate with!
- A medium or large saucepan
- A spatula
- A 9×13 cookie sheet, or (my preference) a 9×13 glass baking dish (way more non-stick!)
Here’s what to do:
- Lightly spray the interior of your saucepan with PAM Butter flavor spray. This will keep the final product from sticking to all surfaces of the pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter (4 tbsp) to the saucepan and melt over low-medium heat.
- Once your butter is completely melted, add in 4 cups of mini marshmallows (that’s the entire bag!) and stir with a PAMed spatula (just spritz the spatula a bit) until totally melted and smooth, over the same low-medium heat.
- When your marshmallows have reached the right consistency (think marshallow fluff in a jar), switch your heat setting to low, and one cup at a time, stir in 5 cups of Rice Krispies cereal. **Feel free to add some PAM to your spatula as you do this so things don’t get too sticky **Also, now is the time to add mini chocolate chips if you want them totally mixed in
- After you’ve got your cereal well blended with the melted marshmallows, you’ll want to thoroughly spray the bottom and sides of your glass dish/pan with PAM.
- Go ahead and turn the heat totally off, and transfer the rice treat blend into your buttered dish.
- Use the spatula to smooth and flatten the treat blend into your dish. Take the few extra minutes to make sure everything is flat and level.
- Finally, the fun part! Go crazy with sprinkles, or even drizzle in some chocolate over the treats to create ‘glue’ for sprinkles **Excerpt on drizzling chocolate: Place half of a milk chocolate candy bar or 1/4 cup of chocolate chips into a small ziplock (or piping) bag. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 10-15 second intervals. Once the chocolate is fully melted, cut a very very tiny hole into a bottom corner of your ziplock bag, and quickly drizzle all over your treats!
- Now just cut into squares and serve up some holiday smiles!
There you have it, friends! Holiday rice crispy treats! If you need me, I’ll be eating my way to a nap this dreary afternoon!
xoxo Sweet Tooth Suzie