First things first, a little bit of housekeeping! Did you love my Oreo truffle recipe but want a hilarious visual guide? Check out Crystal’s latest Blogtober video! Also, if you’re new to Blogtober, we’re doing a giveaway at the end! What’s at stake, you wonder? All seven Harry Potter books and a $25 dollar Target gift card! Stay tuned and be active on our V/Blogmas and @shutupcrystal and @laughingatleighann on insta for details on how to enter!
Now, what’s Halloween for if not the prime opportunity to snuggle up on the couch and watch all the wonderful movies that scare season has to offer?! I mentioned before that my Halloween movie collection rivals that of my Christmas one, and I want to share my favorites with you so you don’t miss out!
- It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown – Tooth fairy, step aside, because Linus and I are waiting for The Great Pumpkin. I get it, you’re busy, but everyone can carve out 20 minutes to watch this absolute feel good classic and get your Snoopy fix.
- Dracula Dead and Loving It – Are you a Mel Brooks fan? I’m talking Robin Hood Men in Tights and Blazing Saddles. If so, this movie is for you. It’s the perfect mix of spooky and hilarious, and that’s why it takes the number 2 spot in my Halloween shhhhhedule. (If you watch, you’ll see what I did there.)
- The Ghost and Mr. Chicken – An oldie but a goodie. Follow Luther (Don Knotts), an aspiring writer (kindred spirits), as he tries to prove that an abandoned house in town is actually haunted. This story is wacky and hilarious, and also a triumph of the underdog, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- Hotel Transylvania – Like all movie trilogies, OG is best, but the rest are great too. This is just the cutest, funniest, spookiest cartoon romcom that there ever was. I’m not much into animated flicks (which is actually shocking), but this one ranks high on my list year round.
- Hocus Pocus – I mean, duh. I don’t even really feel the need to explain this one. It’s a classic, and it’s a classic for good reason. If there’s a reboot, please let me be SJP. K, thanks.
- Clue – Kyle and I have wasted many a sheet of paper scheming our dream Clue reboot cast. But why reboot when the original is so perfect? The closest to an actual scary movie on the list, this whodunnit, comedy thriller is one of my absolute favorites.
- Casper – Who doesn’t love Casper? And a young Christina Ricci? And a young Bill Pullman (baaaaeeeeeee, my mom passed that crush on to me, lol) Only thing is, the older I get, the more tissues I need to watch this movie.
Honorable Mentions: Young Frankenstein, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a baby Fred Andrews looking impossibly good), Halloweentown, Monster House, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Sleepy Hollow, Paranormal Activity, and The Covenant.
*Realizes how embarrassing it is to love dvds in 2018* So that’s my list of Halloween movies, but what about spooky television shows?
That’s a bit trickier. To me, Riverdale is just cozy, creepy, Autumn vibes, through and through. Along those same lines, Vampire Diaries will make ya jump, but you’ll need a lot of time to finish that one! Also, every hilarious Halloween episode of Community is some of the best written television you’ve ever seen. But… want to scare the living daylights out of yourself? Kyle and I finished the new Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House yesterday, and I am scared witless, truly. Like, this morning, I caught my own reflection in the bathroom mirror while I was in the shower and nearly jumped out of my skin. I will not spoil anything, but I’ll just say if all of the above is a little too bubblegum for your nightmares, Hill House oughta do the trick!
What are your favorites? I’m always up for expanding my collection!
xoxo creepy cackling at leigh ann
Leave a Reply