Hey, hi, ho, ho, ho! Hate to be a broken record, but I have dry skin. Like insanely dry skin. Like last week I took a shower and then rushed downstairs to get the workday started without moisturizing first, and ten minutes later, I had two cracked knuckles. Dry skin’s the worst, and I’m battling it year round, but winter is a whole new level of terrible.
Since we last talked details on my winter skincare, I’ve been diagnosed with rosacea. What is rosacea, you ask? It’s a skin condition common in middle aged, fair skinned women (check, check, check) and can present in a few different ways, but the most common symptom is redness. It’s often mistaken for acne, eczema, or even allergic reactions. There are a bunch of different ways to treat rosacea that are effective, so if you too are struggling with red and irritated skin, see a dermatologist to get to the bottom of the situation. Long story short, my winter skincare routine is friendly for my skin concerns, but may not work for you. I just like to share!
Phew, now that my novel of disclaimers is out of the way, let’s get into the fun stuff!
- I first cleanse with the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser. This is the perfect cleanser for morning because I’m not asking it to do any heavy lifting like makeup removal. It’s a gentle way to wash off the night’s skincare and leave a hydrated base for the day. Thank you, Hyram.
- I follow up with Glossier’s Super Glow vitamin C serum. I’m not going to lie, I slept on this serum, despite loving the other two, and I’m bummed that I did. Within days of continued use, I noticed positive changes in my skin. It makes me look… more alive? If that makes sense.
- Next is daily moisture, and my go-to for years and years has been Cetaphil Daily Hydrating Lotion. It’s a super light gel formula, but it’s packed with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid, and I love it so much!
- Now, rosacea care. I use a prescription compound, but I can share some tips for rosacea. The base of my compound is vanicream, which is one of my very favorite face/body moisturizers. It’s unscented, and though its packaging may not draw the eye, it’s amazing. Perhaps the most important ingredient though, is azelaic acid, which is known to reduce congestion from rosacea. We’re all in luck that The Ordinary makes an Azelaic Acid product that’s super affordable.
- A little dab of Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream to keep the under eyes from getting crepey.
- Finally, I top this all off with SPF. Any SPF is better than no SPF, but I personally prefer EltaMD’s UV Physical.
- Night cleansing is definitely a tougher job than morning cleansing. I switch up my process often, but it always involves double cleansing, so that I get rid of makeup and grime. Lately, I’ve just been using the same cleanser twice, and that’s the Paula’s Choice Calm Redness Relief Cleanser for normal to dry skin.
- Next, I tone with the Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, and fam, if you take anything away from this post, let it be this product. This stuff is absolutely magical, and has transformed my skin over the last six months. Paula’s Choice runs 20% off frequently, so if you’re nervous to take the plunge on full price, wait for a sale. This product makes my skin so glowy!
- Glossier’s Super Bounce, duh.
- Now we’re back with the prescription compound.
- A dash of the Mario Badescu eye cream!
- Finally, and perhaps most exciting, I think I’ve found a way to ditch my holy grail 89 dollar (yikes, so much yikes) pm moisturizer. I’ve mentioned the Replenix Biotherapy moisturizer more times than I can count, and for good reason. It’s so amazing, but it comes with an equally impressive price tag and as I was nearing the end of my last jar, I said enough is enough. I picked up the CeraVe Renewing Night Cream a few weeks ago and my skin is thanking me big time. It’s super rich, with an almost vaseline-like texture, but it does absolute wonders for my extremely dry skin, even on my rosacea troubled cheekbones. And at 14 dollars, sign me up!
For lips, all day everyday is Palmers Swivel Stick or Glossier’s Balm Dotcom. They are equally awesome and unmatched in quality!
I am always down to try new products, especially moisturizers (obviously), so if there’s something you’re really loving, let me know!
xoxo Snow Glow
Leave a Reply