What up party people? I brought in the new year in true Leigh Ann fashion last night: laying on my dad’s couch, binge watching romcoms, happy as a clam.
New year, new me? Nope. Still hate New Year’s Eve. Still hate water. Still hate exercising. Still love Oreos, cats, and New Girl. Yeah, I’ve had ample sleep the past two nights, but also yeah, it was heavily aided by Tylenol PM.
So, what’s on this year’s list of resolutions? Well, I had a 3 hour long drive back to Ohio today to think about just that, and I’ve come up with one overarching theme: Self Care
There are so many aspects of my own self that I want to tweak in 2018. Is it selfish for my main goal of the year to be self love? Frankly, I don’t think so. I think I’ve been presenting a tired, raggedy, half aware version of myself for the past few years, and I know that not only will I benefit from some self care, but so will the people closest to me.
As I said last year, I’m a pen to paper type of person, so the only chance I’ll even attempt any of these is to write them down for both you and I to hold me accountable. Let’s break it down:
1. Drink more water. I don’t like water. But I don’t like juice or soda either. I plan to eliminate a solid 75% of my (frequent) headaches in 2018 by staying hydrated. I think this will have skin and life perks as well.
2. Get 8 hours of sleep. It takes me hours to fall asleep. Well, that’s all the more reason to not start the process at 11 pm.
3. Pamper myself. You know, instead of sitting around annoyed about my bare nails and crazy eyebrows, and dry skin, I should take an evening or two a week to pamper myself a little.
4. Destress. The past few weeks have been full of headaches and stomach aches and nausea and nerves. I reached out to one of my best friends who is a nurse practitioner and she told me, “You can go to doctors and have tests ran, but none of that will help anything if you don’t get your head right.” She’s. So. Right. I’ve been kind of neglecting my mental health, which has to change. I don’t know if it’s yoga, or therapy, or reading, but whatever it is that makes me feel calm, I’m going to make a habit of it in 2018. In fact, I have a yoga class tomorrow night!
5. Eat for fuel. I’ll say that I was actually pretty good in the later half of 2017 as far as eating goes. We’re in a really great habit of prepping some work lunches on Sundays, and thanks to Kroger Clicklist, we’re also in a great habit of stocking up on groceries weekly. Unfortunately, just because I’ve been good, doesn’t mean my body agrees with what I’m feeding it. This is going to really be a year of figuring out how to properly fuel my body.
6. Exercise, idiot. I will never deny the truth. I don’t like working out. I don’t like leaving my house in six degree weather to get sweaty in a room full of strangers. I don’t even like getting sweaty in my own living room. Or sweating at all, really. But let’s face it, I’m not getting any younger, and this one body I have deserves more from me.
7. Be more intentional with my time. I already talked in depth about my time goals recently, but now that I’ve had a week to look back on Blogmas, I see that in many ways, I have already been using my time more wisely. When I first thought about how to be more intentional, I wanted to do it because I wanted to free up time to do things like this. Give myself time to work out, to cook food, to write here! So yeah, I’m really going to buckle down on use of my time this year.
I’m so glad to be back! A week off was great, and now I’m full of ideas to share. I hope that 2018 is a magical year for all of us! What are some of your resolutions?
xoxo laughing at leigh ann in 2k18